College Football Preview: Week 7
One of these weeks I’ll get a full preview and recap in. I have not had the time lately. My apologies!
AROUND the SEC
SEC Last Week: 5-2
SEC Overall: 25-11
Here is the full SEC schedule for the day.
Vanderbilt @ Georgia
The Line: Georgia -14.5
-Georgia’s offense showed up last week in their first SEC win of the season. They were also helped out by three turnovers from the Volunteers. Even without Caleb King, Georgia should take care of business against the Commodores. Georgia wins 31-14.
Arkansas @ Auburn
The Line: Auburn -3.5
-This game can go either way. Both teams are talented on offense. We will probably see another exciting shootout in Jordan Hare. Auburn is 10th in the SEC in pass defense, so they will need to rattle Mallett early. Auburn gets the comfort of their own back yard, but I’m going with Mallett and Arkansas here. Arkansas wins 35-28.
South Carolina @ Kentucky
The Line: South Carolina -5.5
-I’ve already talked about this in slight detail, but we will see if South Carolina is ready to step up in Lexington this week. This will be a completely different atmosphere for the Gamecocks. I’m going with Kentucky in an upset here.
Mississippi State @ Florida
The Line: Florida -8.5
-Florida is falling quickly after losing at home to LSU last weekend. The Bulldogs and former offensive coordinator, Dan Mullen, come to The Swamp today with an upset on their mind. I wonder if Gators fans miss Mullen yet?
Florida will be looking to make a statement after a disappointing loss last weekend, so I’ve got Florida winning this one 27-13.
McNeese State @ LSU
–No contest here. Only Les Miles could screw this up. LSU wins easily.
Ole Miss @ Alabama
The Line: Alabama -20.5
-Alabama is coming off it’s first regular season loss in 29 games and one it’s worst showings in a game since the Sugar Bowl against Utah. Everybody is ready to jump off the Alabama bandwagon, but they will respond this week against Ole Miss. Alabama wins 38-14.
Tennessee hits the snooze button this week. They’ll return to action next week at home against Alabama.
Other Match Ups
I refuse to pick Clemson anymore. That is all.
- Illinois could give Michigan State some trouble, but I expect the Spartans will win. I’m still not sold on them covering a -7.5 spread, though.
- Can Wisconsin pull off the upset over Ohio State? Yes. Badgers win 20-17.
- Iowa over Michigan.
- Texas A&M over Missouri.
- Miami better be careful on the road at Duke. Put the Canes on upset alert (if it can still be called that with the way they’re playing), but I think Miami wins.
- Nebraska is on upset alert. Texas won’t stay down for long and they might be looking to set an unproven Nebraska squad straight. Still, I have to look back at what UCLA did to Texas on the ground and can’t help but think Nebraska’s ground game will eventually win out. Nebraska wins, but it will be a tight game.
- Nevada @ Hawaii: I’ve been giving a little love to the Wolfpack lately, Whether they play anyone or not, what they do on offense is incredible. This should be a fun game to watch as both teams will light up the scoreboard. Hawaii is at home and I won’t be surprised if they pull the upset here. I think it will be close, but Nevada survives the mystical island of Hawaii.
- Oregon State @ Washington: The Beavers don’t seem to be getting much love despite close losses to TCU and Boise State, but this is still one of the top teams in the PAC-10. Certainly, the loss of wideout James Rodgers is a big loss for Oregon State. Washington has been less than impressive this year and while they are at home, that hasn’t meant much so far this year. Oregon State wins another close one.
- Ok, time to go watch some football. Enjoy your Saturday!
Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment box below. You can e-mail me suggestions or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter @JoeSportswriter.